about the girl who is allergic to everything (part 1)

15.3.13

I feel like I've owe you guys a proper story of my own, one that share with you how I got here, what got me into blogging and who am I to talk. to be honest, even thou I do wanna get people talking and reading (or else I will just be writing in my little notebook at home now), blogging to me is still one very personal matter. every time I read comments like "you are not that pretty, who are you to talk beauty" or "you are not even fashionable to talk fashion" in other people's blog, I feel so upset. because what people are criticising are not just the appearance or knowledge, but one's existence, the being of oneself. 

sometimes we blog not because we wanna teach, it's because we wanna share. I've not known much people like me in my circle, but I know that there are tons of people out there who share similar interests or thoughts with me. and I am here to share with them my love and hate, my interests and beliefs. 

I am one very typical hong kong girl, born and raised here all my life. had lived in canada for a while but if you ask me where I am from, I will say I am from hong kong. I am chinese and this is my hometown. I grew up pretty normally I would say, I can do anything, use anything, eat anything, go anywhere and meet any kind of friends. Nothing bothers me at all except for my stomach. I got constipation and diarrhea lining up for me, and not one day in my life do I feel relieve in my stomach. ignoring it while I grow, it's time to go to college. I went to canada for further education and that is when my story begins. 

back pain out of nowhere, I remember I was standing there at the sidewalk not being able to walk AT ALL. yes, at all. not even one tiny step. I stood at where I stopped and waited for my aunt to carry me back home. it is when something this serious happen that got people into looking at where the problem is. came back to hong kong for some detail examination, no doctors could be able to tell me what the problem is. one western doctor told me to go for chinese doctor because they really can't do anything anymore. 

this comment was why I started bonding with chinese doctors and natural therapists. I went through numerous doctors and treatments I can't even start counting. my skin started breaking out crazily after a while, my face was super red and it was all covered in white tiny dots. this experience changed my life tremendously, I couldn't say I am a pretty girl growing up, but I do get lots of compliment because I love dressing up and I have very fair and pretty skin. I quitted school and spent days hiding at home. the only time I went out was to visit my doctors, but even when I was out, I would covered myself with mask and hat to make sure no one saw me. people called me freak and friends said I've turned ugly. that few years were the worst time of my life. because I care so much of my apperance, I started seeking out different solutions. I went to do allergy test and found out that I was seriously poisoned by things that I ate and beauty products that I've used. At that time, the only thing I ate was pork/chicken, rice and vegetables. looking back, that was not a really bad experience after all! I've lost over 10 pounds, got so skinny and I was really proud because I could wear a lot more clothes than I used to. (hey come on, you have to find something positive to focus on when you are going through times like this right?) after a while, I got more used to where I was and started going back to school. the story goes on, I can eat a lot more stuff now but am still allergic to a lot of things. my skin is still very sensitive but by using only natural products and doing natural treatments, it has been clearing up. 

being in a chinese society and having food allergies like mine are rare. people would never understand, or should I say don't understand now because I do wish to change their thoughts on allergies. I am label as fuzzy by a lot of people they think I am just picky. friends are not willing to go out with me as often as before because my existence limit their choice of what to do and what to eat. having said that, I still feel very blessed by my experience. 

I never cared about my health before all these, I ignore whatever sensation in my body as long as it won't ruin my face. (girls. sigh) now my physical and mental health are my priorities. I do not feel bad for being allergic to so many things, if you are like me, you shouldn't be! we are blessed at how our body communicate with us. our symptoms are so obvious we know what to avoid and how to treat ourselves before something major happens. hidden illnesses are so much scarier I would choose for a million times to have body that communicate this tightly with me. 

my personality changes, I treasured what I have now and would always stopped and appreciate whenever I feel grumpy. I got in touch with different natural therapy and holistic healing methods, I am now my own best friend. I know my flaws, would do anything for further improvement but still love myself for the strengths that I have. to be honest, I am still struggling that's why I said I am not here to teach. but I do hope that my story could be your inspiration or comfort and I will continue to live my life to the fullest even with all my allergies. 

cheer guys. love xoxo

5 comments:

  1. You go, girl ! There are so much additives and preservatives in our food nowadays that something is bound to affect something. People in the East must be more diligent in being sensitive to people with intolerances instead of sneering. Think gluten free breads !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks wayne for your support. i wouldn't have started this blog without your encouragement. so thank you so much and i can't wait for findhorn!

      Delete
  2. loved reading this post. :)

    I was exposed to the medical industry a few years before I started trying to be healthy and there are times now when I wonder why I started so late. I saw lots of people suffering due to diseases worsened or triggered by an unhealthy lifestyle and along the way learned lots of information to equip me with leading a healthy life. But for years I took all those knowledge and experience for granted.

    So even now that I'm putting the effort to change for the better, I sometimes still find myself thinking 'oh, if I started eating well years ago, I'll probably be much healthier now' and 'oh, if i cared about the possible side effects of some skincare products I used previously then my skin now wouldn't have pigmentations (haha)'. But then again, because I made mistakes, I learned. Because I learned what's wrong, I also learned to appreciate what's right. So now, I feel that every experience I've been through is just like a 'course' in a life-long degree I decided to take. It's like going to healthy living and nutrition school for the rest of my life but enjoying it and being able to constantly apply what I learn to improve my health and those close to my heart.

    Like you, I started my blog not to teach -- and that is because I believe I still have much to learn. I started it to simply share my journey and learn from the experiences of other people who share the same interest and problems. I'm glad that along the way, I stumbled upon you and many others. :)

    You are lucky that your family is supportive. And you are lucky for being born with pretty skin :D
    Dear, you have a lot of hope because your genes are good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your wonderful comment vivi. i agreed very much on what u said about every experience is just like a course in a life long degree. i have to say that we are very blessed in a way that we've learnt some lesson thru out our life. some people might have been stuck there without knowing what to do to improve their health both physically and mentally.

      im very glad that there is slowly a community building in the blogger world about green living and eco beauty. being able to share and connect with you all is a wonderful experience.

      oh. btw. have you got the army green jacket from h&m? :)

      Delete
    2. Nope because it was OOS :(

      But I got another jacket from JRunway (it's a jap fashion store, I think). It's not as long as H&M but looks as flexible. It comes with a few studs on the collar, too.

      Delete